Assalamualaikum everyone! As you know today is Mother’s Day and of course as a child, you would want to shower your mom with unconditional love and gift her a bouquet of flowers, or chocolates or perhaps a Pandora bangle & etc. And since we are under quarantine aka circuit breaker, all confectionery stores are closed until further notice.
Even Starbucks and Coffee Bean are not selling cakes at the moment. I thought of getting a bag for mom (i always shop at shopbop.com) but I don’t wanna go through the risk of waiting and then my moods go off (pandemic moment, so oversea shipping might be delayed).
So I baked her a cake – apple cinnamon cake.
Now here’s the thing – my initial plan was to bake orange cake but I couldn’t get all ingredients at two different supermarkets. Baking needs and ware are out of stock (literally everywhere around my area). And since I have leftover stocks of wheat flour, why not improvise a little bit. I used whatever ingredients I have at home.
250g (2 3/4 cups) wheat flour – sieved/sifted
1 cup of castor sugar
3/4 cup of unsalted butter (softened)
2 large eggs (3 eggs if you use small eggs)
a pinch of salt
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
1tsp of vanilla extract
2 tsp of baking powder
1 cup of plain yoghurt (i used organic yoghurt)
3 cherry apples
1. Peel one apple and chop into small pieces (not too small, in cube). The remaining two apples, cut them into thin slices (throw the core away & do not peel the skin). To prevent your apple from turning brow, dip into lemon juice or soak in salt water.
2. Beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Then, add egg one by one and vanilla extract. Continue beating.
3. Add in flour, salt, baking powder and ground cinnamon. Stir well.
4. Slowly add in chopped apple and yoghurt. Give them a good stir.
5. Preheat oven for 10 minutes, 170 degree celsius.
6. Place baking sheet on your tray (i used 7″ square tray) and grease it with a little bit of olive oil.
7. Pour the mixture in the tray and be sure the top is level. Then, arrange the slices apple on top and sprinkle the remaining ground cinnamon and castor sugar (mix them well) on top of the apple slices.
8. Bake for 50 minutes or least 45 minutes. Use a skewer to check if the cake is already bake. If it’s cleaned, you may take your cake out.
9. Let the cake cool down before cutting or transfer it on your cake rack.