I rarely cook whenever I am back at my parents’ house. You see… My mom is the best cook in the world and I have a valid reason for not eating outside each time I am back home there.
Mama requested a very simple lunch, so I made kuey teow hailam for both of us. It takes only 8-10 minutes to prep this dish!
1 tbsp garlic + ginger paste (blend garlic & ginger together until it becomes paste or you can just smashed both ginger & garlic if you’re lazy to blend them along)
a pinch of salt
prawns & squids
frozen squid & crab
green (i used baby kailan)
2 tsp dark soy (without salt) OR 1 tbsp soy sauce
a small bowl of oyster sauce
1 tsbp corn starch
kuey teow (rice noodle)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 bowl of lukewarm water
- Fry kuey teow with dark soy with a high medium heat until it becomes soft and turns dark. Put aside on another bowl.
- With a low heat, put in vegetable oil and once it is hot, put in the garlic & ginger paste.
- Add in the prawns and squids. Once they’ve changed color, slowly add in water. Now… Some people prefer their gravy to be thick some prefer watery. For me, I like mine to be thick so 1/2 bowl would be fine. Turn the heat to medium, slowly add in the oyster sauce and stir till it changes color.
- 2 minutes later, pinch a little salt and taste it.
- Add in baby kailan, sliced chili and frozen squid & crab along.
- I then mix corn starch with a little bit of water. Slowly I add in it in the gravy, stir it till it becomes thicker.
- Turn off the heat.
- Pour the gravy slowly in the bowl where I put my fried kuey teow earlier on.